Director/Senior Director of Marketing and Communications
| POSITION TITLE: ||
Director/Senior Director of Marketing and Communications
| POSITION CODE: ||
| SUBMIT RESUME |
& ANY MATERIALS TO:
| firstname.lastname@example.org |
| STATUS: ||
| REPORTS TO: ||
Vice President of Member and Student Relations
| LOCATION: ||
Chevy Chase, MD;
Moving Summer 2017 to Bethesda, MD
| DATE: ||
March 30, 2017
The American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) was founded in 1898 to lend support and assistance to the nation's osteopathic medical schools, and to serve as a unifying voice for osteopathic medical education.
Having grown from a handful of college administrators a century ago, the organization today represents the administration, faculty and students of over 33 osteopathic medical schools operating through over 48 campuses across the United States. The association, guided by its Board of Deans and various other member councils and committees, is actively involved in all areas of osteopathic medical education.
The American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) seeks an experienced, innovative professional to lead our Marketing and Communications team as its Director. If you are looking for a role where you can make a difference, lead the development and implementation of the strategic and operational plans for AACOM’s marketing and communications efforts and oversee the day to day operations of a dynamic department, this is an opportunity to explore. You will ensure the alignment of AACOM’s marketing and communications efforts with the association’s overall business plans, goals and objectives.
You will make a difference by promoting increased visibility for AACOM, osteopathic medical education and osteopathic medicine in general and by enhancing the brand and its impact on osteopathic medical school applicant recruiting. As Director, you will also play the lead role in developing and maintaining strong relationships across all media, including print, electronic and social media platforms, while also keeping AACOM’s marketing and communications programs current to maximize the effectiveness and impact of its unique brand.
You must be able to develop a customer service-orientated department; work collaboratively and support colleagues and other departments within AACOM; and work externally to support AACOM’s member colleges and other partner organizations (including DO and MD medical and medical education organizations and other national organizations). A key aspect of this highly-visible and important role is supporting the CEO and other members of the senior leadership team by providing expertise and counseling on all marketing and communications, and by being responsible for reviewing, editing and drafting messages, press releases, presentations, statements and any other materials, documents or communications, internal or external as may be needed.
- Proven track record successfully leading a nationwide marketing, communications and brand management program across the full spectrum of media and communications outlets and social networks coupled with the ability to quickly interpret frequently complex matters and communicate them to diverse audiences in an easily understood manner.
- Ability to develop marketing programs to enhance revenue from current programs and identify key new target growth markets.
- Knowledge and experience building and supporting a brand and ensuring brand compliance across the enterprise.
- Experience building consensus with targeted constituents and stakeholders to implement marketing and communications programs on relevant issues and initiatives.
- Broad experience developing metrics to assess the success of marketing and brand recognition and brand acceptance programs, coupled with the ability to effectively report to and advise senior management as needed.
- The ability to act as AACOM’s spokesperson and lead AACOM’s messaging, public statements, press releases and similar communications with the media, outside organizations and other key constituencies as necessary.
- Strong leadership and management skills to effectively manage the Marketing and Communications Department, develop a highly effective and efficient team while maintaining a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality staff.
- Creativity coupled with the ability to drive change to achieve results.
- Experience working with the CEO and senior executives to support their communications programs.
- Experience developing and managing a marketing and communications department budget.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications or Public Relations. An MBA or advanced degree in a relevant discipline is a plus. A minimum of 10 years’ experience with increasing levels of responsibility, 5 years of which should include experience leading a communications, marketing or public affairs department and interacting with and providing guidance to senior leadership. Experience with health care, the medical community and/or higher education (particularly medical education) a distinct plus. AACOM will consider hiring at the Senior Director level for an outstanding candidate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to be physically in attendance at workstation at designated company office location during normal business hours designated for the position
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds to a height of 48 inches and/or roll a cart with a loaded weight not to exceed 150-200 pounds is required.
- Ability to operate office equipment
- Ability to travel to locations outside of the Washington, DC area in the United States and/or internationally.
Salary and Benefits
AACOM offers a very competitive salary coupled with excellent health related benefits and deferred compensation program as well as a very attractive work-life balance.
AACOM is an equal opportunity and employer. EOE, M/F/D/V.