Bersabel Woldemariam, MS, of Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine (TUNCOM) was given the $1,500 Travel Award by the International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE) for her research entitled, “Master students’ GPA is a better predictor of success in medical school when compared to MCAT scores.” The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores are test scores designed to determine a medical school applicant’s understanding of basic science concepts as well as their strengths in problem-solving and writing.
“I just want to show my research to other faculty because even though there has been a lot of research done in this category, not much has been predicted with Master’s students in medical school,” she said. Woldemariam’s mentor Amina Sadik, PhD, and TUNCOM researcher Xia Wang helped complete this innovative research that will now be presented to an international audience.
Woldemariam previously presented her unpublished data during the 2016 American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) conference, and she will present her published presentation during the annual IAMSE conference in June. Her research was recently published in the American Medical Education Journal.
Read more about her award-winning research, and three Touro faculty members who secured a grant of nearly $5,000 from IAMSE.
AACOM’s Involvement with IAMSE
AACOM’s Vice President and Chair for Medical Education, Luke Mortensen, PhD, has served on the Board of Directors for IAMSE since 2015 and was the program chair for the 2016 conference. This year the IAMSE conference is titled “Delivering Evidence-Based Health Sciences Education” and will be held in Burlington, VT on June 10-13. Learn more about the conference here.
Other Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine that will be represented at the IAMSE conference this year include:
- Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine
- West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine – Georgia Campus
- Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Western University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific