As part of its ongoing Strategic Plan objective to demonstrate the distinctive value and approach of osteopathic medical education by fostering opportunities for research and scholarship, the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) is now working with the American Osteopathic Association’s (AOA) Journal of the American Osteopathic Association (JAOA) to develop a journalistic collaboration. The initiative is designed to recruit, peer review, edit, and distribute scholarly articles through the JAOA on osteopathic medical education research and other scholarly issues related to medical education.
In conjunction with this effort, AACOM has worked with the JAOA to create an Associate Editor position, which will oversee both the “Medical Education” section of the JAOA and the focused annual JAOA “Medical Education” issue.
Associate Editor Applicant Requirements
- Applicants may be nominated or self-nominated and must be able to dedicate a minimum of 2-4 hours per week of service time to the role.
- Additional service time may be required for preparation of the annual JAOA Medical Education issue and for attendance at national medical education meetings and meetings of the JAOA staff.
- Applicants must hold a terminal degree (DO, PhD, EdD, etc.).
- Applicants should demonstrate an appropriate level of writing and editorial experience necessary for this position.
- Current curriculum vitae/résumé.
- Letter of Intent (two-page limit):
- Describe interest in the role.
- Describe experience and expertise for the role.
- Letter of Support from supervisor, which should acknowledge and provide permission of dedicated professional service time for this role.
- To gauge your communication and writing skills, a two-page writing sample on the following topic:
“What are the issues you believe should be a priority for research and scholarly work in osteopathic medical education in the next 3 to 5 years?”
How to Apply
Submit all Application Items to Luke H. Mortensen, PhD, FAHA, AACOM’s Vice President & Chairperson for Medical Education, at email@example.com.
Monday, April 6, 2015 is the deadline to submit all Application Items.