- Visit What is Osteopathic Medicine? to learn more about the history and practice of osteopathic medicine.
- In the 2016-17 academic year, osteopathic medical colleges are educating nearly 29,000 future physicians–more than 20 percent of US medical students.
AACOM represents the 34 accredited colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States.
These colleges are at 51 teaching locations in 32 states.
- Six of the colleges are publicly controlled, 28 are private institutions.
Over the last 15 years, applicants, enrollment, and graduates have increased significantly:
- Number of applicants to osteopathic medical colleges in 2015-16: 20,447
- Number of applicants to osteopathic medical colleges in 2000-01: 7,708
- 2015-16 first-year enrollment: 7,219
- 2000-01 first-year enrollment: 2,927
- 2015-16 total enrollment: 25,876
- 2000-01 total enrollment: 10,817
- 2014-15 total graduates: 5,323
- 1999-00 total graduates: 2,279
For additional data on these and other osteopathic medical education topics please visit AACOM Reports
or contact email@example.com