- Visit What is Osteopathic Medicine? to learn more about the history and practice of osteopathic medicine.
- In the 2016-17 academic year, osteopathic medical colleges are educating nearly 29,000 future physicians – more than 20% of US medical students.
- AACOM represents the 34 accredited colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States.
- These colleges are at 51 teaching locations in 32 states.
- Six of the colleges are publicly controlled, 28 are private institutions.
Over the last 10 years, applicants, enrollment, and graduates have increased significantly:
- Number of applicants to osteopathic medical colleges in 2017-18: 20,836
- Number of applicants to osteopathic medical colleges in 2007-08: 11,231
- 2017-18 first-year enrollment: 8,088
- 2007-08 first-year enrollment: 4,528
- 2017-18 total enrollment: 28,981
- 2007-08 total enrollment:15,634
- 2016-17 total graduates: 6,015
- 2006-07 total graduates: 3,000
For additional data on these and other osteopathic medical education topics please visit AACOM Reports
or contact firstname.lastname@example.org