Council of Student Financial Aid Administrators (CSFAA)
The Council of Student Financial Aid Administrators (CSFAA), led by Chairperson Kimberly Brown, PhD, Director of Finance, Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, convened via conference call on July 11, 2011. Members approved minutes from the CSFAA’s April meeting and brainstormed future projects to build upon an AACOM-sponsored financial aid webinar series, featuring Paul S. Garrard, Founder and President, PGPresents, LLC, which was held last spring for Council members.
AACOM Director of Government Relations Pamela Murphy, MSW, presented a legislative update and answered related questions from meeting participants. Other discussion topics included a U.S. Department of Education Final Rule on Program Integrity: Gainful Employment – Debt Measures; CSFAA attendance and networking opportunities at the July National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators National Conference; and CSFAA participation in the Association of American Medical Colleges’ 2012 Professional Development Conference for Financial Aid Administrators.
The next CSFAA meeting will be held via conference call on Monday, October 17.
Council of Osteopathic Student Government Presidents (COSGP)
The Council of Osteopathic Student Government Presidents (COSGP) met July 11-14 in Chicago, Illinois, during the American Osteopathic Association’s Annual Business Meeting. In attendance were 76 COGSP members from 26 colleges of osteopathic medicine (COMs) and three branch campuses, who discussed issues of importance to students and the profession.
COM representatives presented reports on activities at their individual COMs. The COSGP is working to encourage all COMs to ban smoking on their campuses to benefit the health of students and to set an example for others. The Council worked with the Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) to enhance the osteopathic profession’s code of ethics to include nondiscrimination of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered individuals. COSGP members attended a leadership training seminar focused on conflict resolution, and also attended presentations from the leaders of the osteopathic profession. An Ad-Hoc Committee on Global Health was established, and the silent auction, held annually by COSGP, set a record by raising more than $10,000.
Council of Osteopathic Medical Admissions Officers (COMAO)
A working group of Council of Osteopathic Medical Admissions Officers (COMAO) members met at the AACOM offices in Chevy Chase, June 20-22, to develop proposed revisions to the AACOMAS application and application procedures. (At left: Members of the COMAO working group at the AACOM offices.)
Group members included Susan Hanson, Western University of Health Sciences – College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific; Jamie Rehmann, Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine; John Schriner, Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine; and Donna Sparks, A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine and School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona. AACOM Manager of Application Services Aria Kemp; Vice President for Research and Application Services Tom Levitan; and Associate Director of Application Services Gina Moses also participated in the meeting. Interfolio staff members Alexis Comrack, Steve Goldenberg and Dominic O’Conner joined the group on the final day to discuss technical implementation issues.
The Educational Council on Osteopathic Principles (ECOP) will hold its next meeting September 15 – 17 at the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine.
The Council of Student Financial Aid Administrators (CSFAA) will convene via conference call on Monday, October 17.
The following meetings have been scheduled in conjunction with the upcoming Annual American Osteopathic Association Medical Conference & Exposition in Orlando, Florida. They will take place at the Orange County/Orlando Convention Center.
- Council of Osteopathic Students Government Presidents (COSGP) Executive Board: Friday, October 28, 7:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- Council of Student Government Presidents: Saturday, October 29, 7:00 am – 5:00 pm; Sunday, October 30, 7:00 am – 5:00 pm; Monday, October 31, 7:00 am – 1:00 pm.
- Core Competency Task Force: Saturday, October 29, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- Training Osteopathic Primary Care Educators (TOPCE) Workshop: Sunday, October 30, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm; Monday, October 31, 8:00 am – 12:00 noon.
- Marketing and Communications Advisory Council (MAC): Monday, October 31, 9:45 am – 11:45 am.
- Development and Alumni Relations Council (Dev-Alum) Working Luncheon: Monday, October 31, 12:00 noon – 2:00 pm.
- Council of Fiscal Officers (CFO): Tuesday, November 1, 7:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- Educational Council on Osteopathic Principles (ECOP): Tuesday, November 1, 3:30 – 5:00 pm.
- Council of Osteopathic Medical Admissions Officers (COMAO): Wednesday, November 2, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- Assembly of Presidents Meeting: Wednesday, November 2: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm; Luncheon 12:00 noon – 2:00 pm.