Representatives from the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) and the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) met June 5-7 in Chicago as part of the two organizations’ recently established Blue Ribbon Commission. The Commission is a leadership body formed to identify unique opportunities for the osteopathic profession to offer guidance in medical education so as to improve the health of the U.S. population in the 21st century.
The opening night presentation, “The Futures of Health Care,” was given by Clement Bezold, PhD, Chairman and Senior Futurist for the Institute for Alternative Futures. The meeting was co-chaired byBoyd R. Buser, DO, Dean, Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine, and Marc Hahn, DO, Dean, University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Attendees included (among others):
- Stephen C. Shannon, DO, MPH, President and CEO, AACOM
- Karen J. Nichols, DO, MA, President, AOA
- John B. Crosby, JD, Executive Director, AOA
- Tyler Cymet, DO, Associate Vice President for Medical Education, AACOM
- Past AACOM Osteopathic Health Policy Interns
- Creagh Milford, DO
- Cole Zanetti, DO
- AACOM Board members
- Ray E. Stowers, DO, Vice President and Dean, Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Kenneth J. Veit, DO, MBA, Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine