With growing interest in global health among those in the osteopathic medical education community, the nation’s colleges of osteopathic medicine are establishing international sites to enable their students to study and be exposed to health care in developing nations. AACOM has developed an International Collaborative to facilitate and provide structure for these efforts.
For a number of years, a group of educators interested in international health have provided educational programming at AACOM’s Annual Meeting, and the International Collaborative listserv has been very active. The Collaborative elected an 11-person Steering Committee in April, and an Executive Board of that group also has been established.
Congratulations to the following newly elected Steering Committee members:
- Chair: Dean Sutphin, PhD, Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Chair-Elect: Yogesh Shah, MD, Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Past-Chair: Terrence M. Mulligan, DO, MPH, University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Secretary: James T. Howell, MD, MPH, Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- OIA Liaison: Jan M. Wilcox, DO, Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
- BIOMEA Liaison: Raul J. Garcia-Rodriguez, DO, Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Member-At-Large: Eiman A. Mahmoud, MD, MPH, Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine – California
- Member: Edward Gotfried, DO, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of New York Institute of Technology
- Member: Elaine M. Wallace, DO, MS, MS, Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Member: James Cole, DO, Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
- Member: Rafi Younoszai, PhD, Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
The group’s listserv is used to share items of interest and discuss education in international settings, how the oversight of international rotations differs from setting to setting, and other issues. If you are interested in being added to the listserv, e-mail Tyler Cymet, DO, Associate Vice President for Medical Education, AACOM, at email@example.com.
The Collaborative has met several times and discussed some of the challenges and advantages to getting involved in global health. They will convene again in March, at AACOM’s 2012 Annual Meeting, and will provide educational programs on global health and cooperate with other organizations with a similar focus, including the AOA Bureau on International Osteopathic Medical Education, the Osteopathic International Alliance and DOCARE.