Council of Osteopathic Student Government Presidents (COSGP)
The AACOM Council of Osteopathic Student Government Presidents (COSGP) met for its Winter Business Meeting January 13-15, 2012, in Henderson, NV. The meeting was hosted by Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine (TUNCOM). At the meeting:
- During a teambuilding exercise conducted by Joe Borup with the COSGP leadership, students identified their own leadership styles and discussed their styles with leaders who had different styles.
- COSGP heard an update on NBOME and the COMLEX and COMAT tests, and discussed subject exams and the COMAT.
- Reviewed COSGP’s goals for the year and their progress:
- Teamwork – common goals and a positive vision, EBoard and Council
- Leadership – essential leadership skills
- Committee Focus – national level, goal-oriented Mission and Vision
- Communication – consistent, clear information and training
- Professionalism – training and professionalism in medical leadership
- Conducted a Professionalism and Ethics inclusion in the Curriculum Presentation.
- Revised the National Student of the Year Award process to make it more transparent and efficient for reviewers.
- Reviewed the group’s constitution, bylaws, and policies.
- Conducted a Global Health Care and Education presentation and laid the foundation for an ongoing effort in this regard.
- Conducted a CME-like experience (with excellent student doctor topic options) and discussed how to choose among concurrent program options prior to the two-hour experience.
- Planned for elections for new EBoard member at the AACOM Annual Meeting and a clear transition from current to new leadership.
Immediately after each COSGP meeting, the COSGP Executive Board conducts a quarterly electronic survey to solicit COSGP member feedback on the Board’s choices for speakers, activities, etc., for self-reflection, and for improvement of the next meeting.
Council of Student Financial Aid Administrators (CSFAA)
The Council of Student Financial Aid Administrators (CSFAA), led by Chairperson Kimberly Brown, PhD, Director of Finance, Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, convened an in-person meeting on January 12 at the Association of American Medical Colleges 2012 Professional Development Conference for Health Professions Financial Aid Administrators in Charleston, South Carolina. The CSFAA approved minutes from its October meeting and held an in-depth planning session to discuss the development of an AACOM-sponsored interactive financial aid training module for graduating osteopathic medical students. Paul S. Garrard, Founder and President, PGPresents, LLC, who will serve as the featured presenter in the online training module, joined the planning session. Other agenda topics included upcoming Council elections and outreach to various AACOM councils regarding student financial aid issues of interest.
The next CSFAA meeting will be held via conference call on Monday, March 19, at 3:00 pm EST.
Core Competency Liaison Group Wrap-up Report
AACOM’s Core Competency Liaison Group (CCLG) is putting the finishing touches on its two-year project to review and revise the profession’s core competencies from a faculty perspective. The National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners (NBOME) first published an osteopathic core competency document in 2006 as an indication of what it believed could be tested on board exams. NBOME updated its document in 2009 and again in 2011. THE CCLG, which represents members from every osteopathic medical school and representatives from osteopathic residency programs, began in early 2010 to review the NBOME document from a teaching perspective, expand and reorganize the competencies as needed and integrate the Preventative Medicine Competencies from the Healthy People 2020 Curriculum Task force.
The resulting document will be published in a manner similar to the NBOME document, but will focus on the basics that should be taught, whether or not they can be tested by national board exams. The group’s document will cross-reference objectives with the NBOME, COCA standards and the Healthy People competencies. The final outcome will be presented at the Society of Osteopathic Medical Educators (SOME) meeting (an open meeting to which all attendees are invited) during AACOM’s upcoming Annual Meeting, and also will be posted to AACOM’s website for comment.
Meetings to be held at the 2012 AACOM Annual Meeting
March 28, 2012
6:00 – 9:00 pm
International Collaborative Meeting
March 29, 2012
9:45 am – 1:30 pm
Council of Osteopathic Medical Student Services Officers (COMSSO) Meeting
9:45 am – 5:15 pm
Council of Development and Alumni Relations Professionals (Dev-Alum) Meeting
9:45 am – 6:00 pm
Council of Osteopathic Student Government Presidents (COSGP) Executive Board Meeting
2:15 – 4:45 pm
Society of Osteopathic Medical Educators (SOME) Meeting
7:30 – 9:30 pm
SOME Steering Committee Dinner
March 30, 2012
9:45 am – 12:15 pm
Marketing and Communications Advisory Council (MAC) Meeting
9:45 am – 3:30 pm
Council of Osteopathic Student Government Presidents (COSGP) Meeting
9:45 am – 4:45 pm
Council of Osteopathic Medical Admissions Officers (COMAO) Meeting
March 31, 2012
7:00 am – 6:00 pm
8:00 am – 3:00 pm
AACOM Board of Deans Meeting
April 1, 2012
7:00 am – 12:00 noon