Click

Profiling the 2012 Entering Class of Osteopathic Medical Students

AACOM’s Research Department recently released the “Osteopathic Medical College Applicant and Matriculant Profile,” a report summarizing data gathered from the 2012 entering class of osteopathic medical students. Sample data from the report is described below.

The nation’s colleges of osteopathic medicine (COMs) have reported a total of 5,574 fall 2012 matriculants. This figure represents a positive increase of 165 matriculated students since the fall of 2011. Of that 5,574, the new report profiles the 5,464 (98 percent) matriculants who submitted an application to the AACOM Application Service (AACOMAS). The other 2 percent of reported matriculants either applied directly from other programs at the COM in which they are already enrolled or applied directly to the émigré physician program at the New York Institute of Technology (NYIT)-College of Osteopathic Medicine. The University of North Texas Health Sciences Center at Fort Worth/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM) receives its applications through the Texas Medical and Dental School Application Service. Data from these applicants and matriculants are not part of the AACOMAS database and are not included in this analysis.

Matriculant Gender

In 2012, 55.8 percent of osteopathic medical school matriculants were male, and 44.2 percent were female, representing a 0.2 percent decrease in male, and 0.2 percent increase in female, matriculants from 2011.

Gender

Number

Percent

Male

3,020

55.8%

Female

2,395

44.2%

Total (including 49 applications missing gender data)

5,464

 

MCAT Scores

AACOMAS received MCAT score data from 5,464 matriculants in 2012. In cases where more than one set of scores was received for a particular matriculant, the set with the highest total score has been included. Below are the mean, standard deviation, and median for each section of the MCAT, as well as the total MCAT score. The total MCAT mean has risen slightly from last year’s 26.51 total to 26.85.

MCAT Scores

Verbal

Biological Science

Physical Science

Total

Mean

8.63

9.48

8.74

26.85

SD

1.67

1.39

1.68

3.19

Median

9

10

9

27

Mean GPAs

GPAs were calculated from 5,463 sets of data. The mean overall GPA for all completed coursework (undergraduate, graduate, post-baccalaureate and all other coursework) was 3.51, a slight increase of 0.01 from 2011.

GPA

Science

Non-science

Overall

Mean – FR-SR

3.37

3.59

3.49

Mean – FR-SR, PB

3.42

3.60

3.51

Mean (All coursework including graduate)

3.43

3.60

3.51

Age

The mean age of 2012 matriculants is 25, compared to 24.5 in 2011, with roughly 93.84 percent of 2012 matriculants aged 30 or younger.

To view the full report, visit here.

Inside OME Header
April / May 2013
Vol. 7, No. 4 / 5