There are only 10 more weeks until the Joint AACOM & AODME 2013 Annual Meeting, which will be held April 24-27 at the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront Hotel in Baltimore, Maryland. This year’s theme is Foundations for the Future, with sessions that explore emerging issues and innovations throughout the continuum of osteopathic medical education. Early registration for the meeting is now open and offers a 20 percent discount to attendees who register before March 4. Plan now to attend!
Special Note: AODME sessions have now been added to the online program. View the conference program
Thought-provoking Plenary Sessions
Emerging Health Care Futures: Implications for Osteopathic Medical Education Reform
- Clement Bezold, PhD, Chairman and Senior Futurist, Institute for Alternative Futures
Innovation and the Future of Health Care
- George E. Thibault, MD, President, The Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation
Outcomes of the Blue Ribbon Commission on the Advancement of Osteopathic Medical Education (BRC)
- Karen J. Nichols, DO, Dean, Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University (CCOM/MWU); 2013 AACOM Program Chair; Steering Committee Member, BRC
- Boyd R. Buser, DO, Vice President for Health Affairs and Dean, University of Pikeville-Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM); Co-Chair, BRC
- Robert A. Cain, DO, Director of Medical Education, Grandview Medical Center; 2013 AODME Program Chair
- Marc B. Hahn, DO, Executive Vice President of Academic and Medical Affairs, Provost and Dean, Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCUMB-COM); Co-Chair, BRC
The Future of GME Accreditation
- Thomas J. Nasca, MD, Chief Executive Officer, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
A Special Dual Presentation on Accreditation Moderateor: Thomas A. Cavalieri, DO, Dean, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-School of Osteopathic Medicine (UMDNJ-SOM)
Accreditation of Medical Education Programs Leading to the Medical Degree: A review of the Decisions of the Liaison Committee on Medical Education from 2004 to 2012
- Daniel Hunt, MD, MBA, Senior Director for Accreditation Services, Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
Observations on Accreditation of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine During a Period of Continued Growth
- Konrad C. Miskowicz-Retz, PhD, CAE, Director for Department of Accreditation, American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
Stimulating Tuesday Pre-Conference Workshops
(additional fee required)
Conducting and Mentoring Medical Educational and Clinical Research: A Painless Introduction (Part of the TOPCE Program)
This workshop will provide the basis for the development and implementation of osteopathic clinical, medical, educational and institutional research studies. It is designed to mentor new researchers. Take-home materials will be provided and experiential applications included during the workshop.
- Grace Brannan, PhD, CORE Research Executive Director, Ohio University-Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)
- Stephen S. Davis, PhD, Director of Faculty Development and Assistant Professor of Family Medicine, OU-HCOM
- Jane Z. Dumsha, PhD, CHES, Director of Research and Sponsored Programs, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)
- David P. Yens, PhD, Research Director, NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine Educational Consortium (NYCOMEC)
Preparing for and Dealing with Disaster on Campus: Lessons from Experience
In this special workshop, presenters will share communications, student services and fundraising challenges confronted and lessons learned during recent crises on campus. Guided by presenters, workshop participants will develop preparation plans for their own campuses.
- Linda Darroch-Short, Director of Student Life, New York Institute of Technology
College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)
- William P. King, Assistant Vice President for Student Services & Media Relations, Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM)
- Krista A. Llewellyn, Advancement Services Manager, A.T. Still University (ATSU)
On Friday evening, there will be an AACOM Awards Banquet and an AODME Collegium Induction Ceremony.
The Joint AACOM & AODME 2013 Annual Meeting is the premier event for members of the nation's osteopathic medical education community. View registration rates and reserve your hotel accommodations today!
For more information, visit the Annual Meeting section on AACOM’s website, or contact Beth Martino, AACOM Manager of Meetings and Events, at (301) 968-4189 or firstname.lastname@example.org,
or Dan Mendelson, AODME Affiliate Executive, at (312) 202-8211/ email@example.com.