On February 27, the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) held its annual lobby day, COM Day on Capitol Hill. Sixteen deans and representatives from the nation’s colleges of osteopathic medicine (COMs) were in attendance at this year’s event.
Participants enjoyed a pre-COM Day dinner featuring Representative Allyson Y. Schwartz (D-PA), who spoke about her legislative efforts on issues of importance to the COMs, including her work in advocating for increased medical residency training and permanently fixing the Medicare Sustainable Growth Rate. After the dinner, attendees enjoyed a private tour of the U.S. Capitol led and hosted by Representative Kevin Yoder (R-KS).
The 2013 COM Day on Capitol Hill kicked off with a legislative briefing and breakfast led by AACOM Director of Government Relations Pamela Murphy, who spoke about the continuing negotiations in Congress on the federal deficit, sequestration, and the devastating impact these federal funding cuts will have on the nation’s osteopathic medical schools.
Following the briefing, the participants met with more than 60 Members of Congress and their staffs to discuss a variety of issues impacting the COMs, including primary care workforce issues, legislative efforts to alleviate the financial burden of medical school debt, and the critical need for Medicare graduate medical education (GME) funding.
Participating schools included:
- Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
- Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Des Moines University - College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Nova Southeastern University - College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York
- University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey - School of Osteopathic Medicine
- University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
- West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
- William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine