The 2014-2015 Council of Osteopathic Student Government Presidents (COSGP) convened July 14-20 under the leadership of Chair Carisa Rose Champion-Lippmann, osteopathic medical student at the Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-COM), in conjunction with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) 2014 Annual Business Meeting in Chicago, IL.
Among other agenda items covered at the meeting, the council:
- Conducted a “Meet ‘n’ Greet” event to allow members to familiarize themselves with one another
- Received welcome remarks from AACOM President and CEO Stephen C. Shannon, DO, MPH
- Observed a presentation on the history of COSGP, led by Tyler Cymet, DO, AACOM Associate Vice President for Medical Education and Chief of Clinical Medical Education and Luke Mortensen, PhD, AACOM Vice President and Chair for Medical Education
- Heard a presentation on the future of medicine from Dr. Cymet
- Received a legislative update from AACOM Vice President of Government Relations Pamela Murphy and AACOM Assistant Director of Government Relations Mary-Lynn Bender
- Heard several panel discussions from a variety of panelists, including John Gimpel, DO, MEd, National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners (NBOME) President and CEO; Robert S. Juhasz, DO, AOA President; Karen J. Nichols, DO, MA, Dean, Professor of Internal Medicine, Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University (CCOM/MWU); Josh Prober, JD, AOA General Counsel; Dr. Shannon; Norman E. Vinn, DO, AOA Immediate Past President; Adrienne White-Faines, MPA, AOA Executive Director and CEO;
- Reviewed school reports and annual updates from committee members
- Participated in a single GME accreditation system workshop
Immediately following each meeting, the COSGP Executive Board conducts an electronic survey to solicit council member feedback on the board’s choices for speakers, activities, etc., for self-reflection and improvement of the next meeting.
The COSGP’s next meeting will be held October 23-26 in conjunction with the AOA’s OMED 2014 conference in Seattle, WA.
The Council of Student Financial Aid Administrators (CSFAA), led by Chair Steven Jorden, MA, Director of Student Financial Services at A.T. Still University of Health Sciences - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine and A.T. Still University of Health Sciences – School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, convened a conference call meeting on July 28, 2014. The CSFAA approved minutes from its April meeting and discussed topics for the upcoming AACOM-sponsored interactive financial aid training modules for osteopathic medical students. Other agenda topics included an update on AACOM’s work with the Department of Health and Human Services’ Health Resources and Services Administration to further increase awareness in the osteopathic medical education community about the National Health Service Corps Students to Service Loan Repayment Program and the value of CSFAA’s feedback regarding the program, as well as a legislative and regulatory update from Pamela Murphy, AACOM Vice President of Government Relations.
SOME Steering Committee Meeting
Chevy Chase, MD
November 30-December 2
Council Leadership Meeting
Chevy Chase, MD
Meetings and Workshops to Be Held at OMED 2014
COSGP Executive Board Meeting