On November 14, the Board of Directors of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) announced that the founding members of the Interprofessional Education Collaborative (IPEC) would receive the inaugural Dr. Geraldine “Polly” Bednash Lectureship Award. The founding members of IPEC include:
- Carol A. Aschenbrener, MD, Chief Medical Education Officer, Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
- Polly Bednash, PhD, RN, Former CEO, American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
- Lucinda L. Maine, PhD, RPh, Executive Vice President and CEO, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)
- Stephen C. Shannon, DO, MPH, President and CEO, AACOM
- Harrison C. Spencer, MD, MPH, DTM&H, CPH, President and CEO, Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH)
- Richard W. Valachovic, DMD, MPH, CEO and President, American Dental Education Association (ADEA)
The Dr. Geraldine “Polly” Bednash Lectureship Award was established in March 2014 to honor AACN’s past CEO, Dr. Bednash, who led the association for 28 years. The purpose of this award is to recognize exceptional contributions to interprofessional education. The recipients will receive their award and present their lecture (as a group or via a spokesperson) on March 22 at the 2015 annual meeting of the AACN.