SOME Steering Committee
The Society of Osteopathic Medical Educators (SOME) Steering Committee met at the AACOM offices in Chevy Chase, MD on September 29. The committee meeting opened with a welcome address from AACOM President and CEO Stephen C. Shannon, DO, MPH, and updates from the AACOM Council of Student Government Presidents (COSGP), the National Academy of Osteopathic Medical Educators (NAOME), and each of AACOM’s five Department leaders. The group then worked on various committee business, including project brainstorming, reviewing SOME’s bylaws, program development for the Joint 2015 AACOM & AODME Annual Conference, and strategic planning. SOME’s next meeting will be held at the Joint 2015 AACOM & AODME Annual Conference in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
ECOP Fall 2014 Meeting
The Educational Council on Osteopathic Principles (ECOP) met September 25-27 at the A.T. Still University-Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (ATSU-KCOM) in Kirksville, MO. The meeting convened under the leadership of ECOP Secretary Jonathan Kirsch, DO, Associate Professor of Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM) at the ATSU-School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona. Among the various activities held during the meeting, council members:
- Heard a report on current AACOM activities from Tyler Cymet, DO, AACOM Chief of Clinical Education and Staff Liaison to ECOP
- Held discussions and worked in break-out groups on various council projects and activities, including research curriculum, national curriculum standards for osteopathic principles and practice (OPP), and changes to AACOM’s Glossary of Osteopathic Terminology
- Toured the ATSU-KCOM campus
- Heard a presentation on the AACOMmunities platform from Kate Hirsch, Administrative Assistant to Dr. Cymet
- And reviewed future committee meeting sites and dates
ECOP will reconvene Monday, October 27 at the AOA OMED 2014 meeting in Seattle, WA.