The Society of Osteopathic Medical Educators is an open-membership society of osteopathic medical educators (faculty and staff) who are involved in planning and/or providing osteopathic medical education programs along the full continuum of osteopathic medical education.
SOME Operating Strategies
The Society seeks to include those involved in educational programs through the colleges of osteopathic medicine, osteopathic post-graduate training institutions (OPTIs), specialty colleges, and continuing medical education programs. The mission of the society is to promote the continuous collaborative improvement of osteopathic medical education.
The strategies of this Council shall be to:
- share information regarding current educational practices, including content, processes, and administrative oversight, along the continuum of osteopathic medical education
- implement best practices for medical education programs along the continuum of osteopathic medical education
- promote, plan, conduct and disseminate the results of individual and collaborative osteopathic medical education research
- provide opportunities for collaboration among the colleges of osteopathic medicine and among educational programs along the continuum of osteopathic medical education
- develop and recommend administrative policies that would promote and reward education scholarship,
- present recommendations to the Board of Deans and to prepare and present other reports which may be requested by the Board of Deans.
AACOM Staff Liaison
If you wish to join the SOME Community, email Lynn Bragan, indicating the following:
- That you are responsible for creating and/or implementing an osteopathic medical education program and are eligible to be an official voting member of SOME.
or, if #1 does not apply to you -
- Indicate that you would like join the online community to participate in the discussions.
- Also note that you agree to abide by usage terms when you log into the community and have reviewed the SOME SIG guidelines.
The Society is led by a Steering Committee that is representative of the full continuum of osteopathic medical education, including continuing medical education. Membership on the Steering Committee is determined by a vote of the Society membership in attendance at the Annual Conference.
Steering Committee Members 2016-2017
- Chair: Polly E. Leonard, DO, MS, Clinical Professor, University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Chair-Elect:Patricia S. Sexton, DHEd, NAOME Fellows Past-Chair, Associate Dean of Curriculum, AT Still University Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Secretary: Jennifer A. Fischer, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Molecular Biology, Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Past-Chair: John Graneto, DO, MEd, Associate Dean, Kansas City University-College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Steering Committee Member: Rodney Fullmer, DO, Emergency Medicine,
- Steering Committee Member: Jacqueline M. Kaari, DO, Department Chairperson and Associate Professor, Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Steering Committee Member: Emmanuel Katsaros, DO, Chair and Associate Professor of Internal Medicine, Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
- Steering Committee Member: Sharon Obadia, DO, Director of Faculty Development and Assistant Professor, Internal Medicine, A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona
- Steering Committee Member: Nicole Wadsworth, DO, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Osteopathic Medicine Resident Member: TBA
- Student COSGP National Medical Education Representative: Dylan Ryan Rogers, Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Northwest (WesternU/COMP)
- NAOME Liaison: Evelyn Schwalenberg, DO, MS
Associate Dean for Clinical Education
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University