The Society of Osteopathic Medical Educators is an open-membership society of osteopathic medical educators (faculty and staff) who are involved in planning and/or providing osteopathic medical education programs along the full continuum of osteopathic medical education.
SOME Operating Strategies
The Society seeks to include those involved in educational programs through the colleges of osteopathic medicine, osteopathic post-graduate training institutions (OPTIs), specialty colleges, and continuing medical education programs. The mission of the society is to promote the continuous collaborative improvement of osteopathic medical education.
The strategies of this Council shall be to:
- share information regarding current educational practices, including content, processes, and administrative oversight, along the continuum of osteopathic medical education
- implement best practices for medical education programs along the continuum of osteopathic medical education
- promote, plan, conduct and disseminate the results of individual and collaborative osteopathic medical education research
- provide opportunities for collaboration among the colleges of osteopathic medicine and among educational programs along the continuum of osteopathic medical education
- develop and recommend administrative policies that would promote and reward education scholarship,
- present recommendations to the Board of Deans and to prepare and present other reports which may be requested by the Board of Deans.
Please Join Us!
Connect with your colleagues across campus and across the country!
If you wish to communicate on the SOME Community, email Luke H. Mortensen at email@example.com indicating the following:
Indicate that you would like join the online community to participate in the discussions.
Also, note that you agree to abide by usage terms when you log into the community.
- That you are responsible for creating and/or implementing an osteopathic medical education program and are eligible to be an official voting member of SOME.
or, if #1 does not apply to you -
The Society is led by a Steering Committee that is representative of the full continuum of osteopathic medical education, including continuing medical education. Membership on the Steering Committee is determined by a vote of the Society membership in attendance at the Annual Conference.
Steering Committee Members 2014-2015
- Chair: John Graneto, DO, MEd, Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine, Education Director, Emergency Medicine, Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
- Immediate Past Chair: Martha Echols, PhD, MEd, Assistant Dean of Medical Education at the Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-COM)
- Chair-Elect: Polly E. Leonard, DO, MS, Clinical Associate Professor, University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Secretary: Diane R. Karius, PhD, Director, Human Patient Simulations, and Associate Professor of Physiology, Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Steering Committee Member: Pamela M. Basehore, EdD, MPH, Assistant Dean for Assessment (Acting); Assistant Professor of Medicine, Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Steering Committee Member: Timothy J. Barreiro, DO, FCCP, FACOI, FACP, Associate Professor of Internal Medicine, Ohio University-Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Steering Committee Member: Mark Andrews, PhD, FNAOME, Professor of Physiology and Director of Examination Management, Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine-Seton Hill
- Steering Committee Member: Jennifer A. Fischer, PhD, Department of Molecular Biology, Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Student COSGP National Medical Education Representative: Danielle Maholtz, OMS-II, Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine-New York
- Student representative of the American Osteopathic Association's (AOA) Board of Trustees: Mansoor Jatoi, DO, Resident Physician, Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine/Midwestern University
AACOM Staff Liaisons: