Call for 2018 Nominations
AACOM is actively seeking qualified candidate nominations for this program. Nomination packets are due to AACOM May 24, 2018 by 5:00 PM ET.
Please note that only members of the AACOM Board of Deans, the AOA Board of Trustees, the AOF Board, and the National Academy of Medicine can nominate.
The National Academy of Medicine (NAM) Anniversary Fellowship in Osteopathic Medicine was initiated in commemoration of the 35th anniversary of the NAM's establishment. In 2014 and 2016, the AACOM Board of Deans joined the AOA and the American Osteopathic Foundation (AOF) to provide endowment funding to create an ongoing NAM Fellowship in Osteopathic Medicine at the National Academy of Medicine. The NAM has announced its 2018 timelines and procedures for the nomination of candidates for its new NAM Fellowship in Osteopathic Medicine. The call for nominations is now open.
The overall purpose of the NAM Fellowship in Osteopathic Medicine Program is to enable talented, early-career health science scholars to participate actively in health- and medicine-related work of the Academies and to further their careers as future leaders in the field. The program especially welcomes nominations of under-represented minority candidates. The NAM Fellowship in Osteopathic Medicine is awarded for a two-year period. During this time, the fellow is expected to continue to work at his/her main academic post, while being assigned to one of the following Academy boards:
- Children, Youth, and Families
- Food and Nutrition
- Global Health
- Health Care Services
- Health of Select Populations
- Health Sciences Policy
- Population Health and Public Health Practice
The fellowship requires a 10 to 20 percent commitment of time for two years and includes attendance at a one-week orientation to health policy, the Fall NAM Annual Meeting and the meetings of the assigned board. Additionally, the fellow will participate actively in the work of an appropriate expert study committee or roundtable, including contributing to its reports or other products.
This experience will introduce the NAM Fellow in Osteopathic Medicine to a variety of experts and perspectives, including legislators, government officials, industry leaders, executives of voluntary health organizations, scientists, and other health professionals. Each fellow will be assigned to an NAM member who will serve as a senior mentor during the two years of the fellowship.
A flexible research stipend of $25,000 will be awarded to each NAM Fellow in Osteopathic Medicine. The stipend will be administered through the appropriate department in the fellow’s home institution. Stipends are not intended for use as salary offsets.
AACOM is actively seeking candidate nominations for individuals who qualify for this program; all nomination packets will be assembled and presented to the NAM by AACOM, the AOA, and the AOF. These organizations have worked together to provide funding, sustain this program, and coordinate the nomination process.
2018 Program Timeline
- March 1, 2018 – Call for nominations
- May 24, 2018 – Completed nomination packets due to AACOM by 5 PM ET
- June 1, 2018 – Nomination packets due to NAM by 5 PM ET [AACOM will complete this step by collecting, reviewing, and submitting all completed nomination packets to the NAM on this date]
- July 16, 2018 – Awardee notified
- October 15, 2018 – Awardee introduced to the NAM membership at the NAM Annual Meeting
- October 22-26, 2018 – Fellow Orientation Week at the NAM
Nominees for the NAM Fellowship in Osteopathic Medicine must meet the following requirements:
- Nomination by a member of the NAM, the Trustees of the AOA, the Board of Deans of the AACOM, or the Board of Directors of the AOF
- Must hold a Doctorate of Osteopathic Medicine
- Able to dedicate 10 to 20 percent of time to the fellowship for two years
- Within the first two-to-seven years after completion of post graduate work
- Supporting letter from the candidate’s department chair
- U.S. citizen or permanent residency status at the time of the nomination
Once the nominator has contacted his/her nominee(s), nominee(s) who choose to participate must submit their complete application packet to the individual who nominated them.
The nominator will then need to forward this complete application packet with all required attachments (listed below) to AACOM no later than May 24, 2018 via email to IOMfellow@aacom.org.
To receive full consideration, a complete application packet must include the following (as Acrobat PDF or Microsoft Word files):
- A nomination letter from a member of the National Academy of Medicine, the Trustees of the American Osteopathic Association, the Board of Deans of the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine, or the Board of Directors of the American Osteopathic Foundation
- Three (3) Letters of Reference
- Supporting letter from Department Chair
- An up-to-date curriculum vita
- A brief, one-page biography
Once this completed application packet is received, AACOM, AOA, and AOF will verify, compile, and forward application materials to the NAM for final consideration by June 1, 2018.
For questions about the nomination and selection process, please contact Gregg S. Margolis, PhD, Director of Health Policy Fellowships and Leadership Programs and Fellowships, at 202-334-1506, or via email at email@example.com.
If you have additional process questions or need additional information from AACOM, please contact Mark Speicher, PhD, Senior Vice President for Medical Education and Research, at firstname.lastname@example.org.