August 28, 2020
This month, the AOGME Board approved a new strategic framework and revised the AOGME mission, strategic goals and objectives to guide our work through 2022. The mission and goals were refined to align with AACOM’s strategic plan.
As part of AACOM, the mission of AOGME is to improve the health of the public and enhance the training of medical residents and fellows by advancing and promoting excellence in the osteopathic learning environment.
AOGME STRATEGIC GOALS
- Provide resources to assist graduate medical education programs in successfully achieving and maintaining continued accreditation.
- Provide and promote leadership and professional development opportunities that contribute to the success of AOGME residents, fellows, program directors, faculty and program staff; and support members in successfully navigating the changing environment
- Promote the value of the osteopathic learning environment to residency and fellowship training and patient care, to include providing support to programs in obtaining and maintaining osteopathic recognition as well as a resource to provide distinctive osteopathic content to any interested graduate medical education program as a value added service
- Create a learning community of osteopathic medical educators to advance excellence and innovation throughout the osteopathic learning environment.
Each of these goals are tied to specific objectives, we hope to engage many of you on these in coming months. A special focus this year is to support our community of program coordinators as we continue to provide resources to assist GME programs to achieve and maintain continued accreditation. To that end, we have launched a new listserv specifically for program coordinators, if you are a program coordinator, please join our community by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virtual Residency Fair
This month, AACOM/AOGME held a successful virtual residency fair with over 3,370 student registrants and over 100 programs and institutions in 70 separate chat rooms. Over 35 specialties and subspecialties were represented at the fair and programs from across the country. The fair also included three specialty colleges who provided educational resources and career advice to medical students. Finally, a day-long informational program was held in the AACOM lobby with advice on virtual interviewing, using AACOM’s data and resources for residency selection, and more. Due to continued high demand, we are hosting a second virtual residency fair on October 9, please save the date and look out for registration information.
Webinars on Virtual Interviewing, Holistic Review of Applicants for Residency
AOGME is partnering with several organizations to continue to provide information and resources on virtual recruiting for both students and programs in assist with this residency application and selection cycle. See some of the featured programing in the upcoming webinar series:
- On September 10 at 7:30 PM ET, the American Osteopathic Board of Family Physicians (ACOFP) and AOGME will present a webinar for students on virtual student interview best practices. From navigating technology to avoiding common interview pitfalls, this interactive session will provide students with recommendations, best practices and exemplars as they prepare for virtual interviews. Register here.
- On September 17 at 1:00 PM ET, AOGME is partnering with the Alliance of Independent Academic Medical Centers on a webinar focused on virtual recruiting for programs. AOGME members can register exclusively with the AIAMC member rate, select this option when you register.
- Save the date for a webinar on October 30 at 4:00 PM ET, AOGME on a comprehensive review of residency applicants featuring a partnership between Cleveland Clinic and Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine.
We are thrilled to welcome our new members who joined AOGME this month! We encourage all of you to spread the word about AOGME and engage more of your colleagues in this community.
Please feel free to reach out to us at any time with direct inquires by emailing email@example.com or calling us at 301-657-7881.
Thomas Mohr, MS, DO, FACOI, FAOGME