What does it mean if a program is in pre-accreditation status?
- This status is applied to an AOA-accredited program that has submitted an application for ACGME accreditation (granted immediately upon receipt of application). These programs are fully-accredited by the AOA and participate in the AOA match. These programs have not yet been reviewed by the respective ACGME specialty review committee (RC). These programs can apply for osteopathic recognition but cannot be reviewed until they receive ACGME accreditation. Individuals who complete programs that are in pre-accreditation or continued pre-accreditation status will be subject to ACGME program eligibility requirements in effect in 2013 or 2016, whichever is less restrictive.
What does it mean if a program is in continued pre-accreditation status?
- This status is applied to an AOA-accredited program that has been reviewed by an ACGME RC but did not receive ACGME accreditation. They are still fully accredited by the AOA so are still good programs to pursue. However, they have been given feedback from the ACGME RC on what they need to address to meet the requirements and will be reviewed at the RC’s subsequent meetings. These programs have same benefits on program eligibility as those in pre-accreditation status.
What does it mean if a program is in initial accreditation status?
- This status is applied to an AOA-accredited program that was reviewed by the ACGME RC and achieved ACGME accreditation. The program can choose to participate in the NRMP match and/or the AOA match.
What does it mean if a program is in initial accreditation contingent status?
- This status is applied to an AOA-accredited program that was reviewed by the ACGME RC and found to meet requirements for ACGME accreditation but the sponsoring institution has not yet achieved accreditation. This program is fully AOA-accredited although not ACGME accredited until its sponsoring institution receives initial accreditation. The institution has a two-year window to achieve accreditation, although the process in most instances is not expected to take that long.
What is a dually-accredited program?
- These programs are accredited by both the AOA and the ACGME. These programs can participate in the NMS and/or the NRMP match.