Sherry R. Arnstein Underrepresented Minority Scholarship
The 2023 application cycle is now open.
To strengthen the career pathway for physicians from historically disadvantaged backgrounds, the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) is pleased to offer the Sherry R. Arnstein Underrepresented Minority Scholarship. The scholarship recognizes underrepresented minority (URM) students attending one of AACOM's member colleges of osteopathic medicine (COMs).
The scholarship is named after former AACOM Executive Director, Sherry R. Arnstein. To learn more about Sherry Arnstein, please read her bio, Climbing the Ladder: A Look at Sherry R. Arnstein.
Each year AACOM awards $5,000 scholarships to a select number of osteopathic medical students. Both newly accepted and continuing students are eligible to apply.
Read AACOM's press release on last year's scholarship recipients.
Applicants must be:
- African American, Native American, Alaska Native or Native Hawaiian, mainland Puerto Rican or Hispanic American as directed per the Sherry Arnstein Trust. AACOM cannot adjust these criteria and the Arnstein family has firmly stated they wish to keep the existing criteria unaltered.
- In good academic standing and either:
- currently enrolled in the first, second or third year at an AACOM member COM
- OR a student who has been accepted and is planning to matriculate at one of the AACOM member COMs
Previous Arnstein applicants are eligible to reapply; previous recipients are ineligible.
- Completed application based on your student status of either 'new' or 'continuing'
- Responses to the provided essay prompts
Application deadline: August 11. Awardees will be notified within 90 days.
Completed entries must include the required documentation with all appropriate signatures and the required essay. Incomplete entries will not be considered.
If selected as an Arnstein recipient, the academic standing for both newly accepted and continuing students will be verified with each COM.