- Visit What is Osteopathic Medicine? to learn more about the history and practice of osteopathic medicine.
- In the 2021-22 academic year, osteopathic medical colleges are educating approximately 35,000 future physicians–25 percent of all U.S. medical students.
- AACOM represents the 38 accredited colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States.
- These colleges are at 62 teaching locations in 35 states.
- Seven of the colleges are publicly controlled, 31 are private institutions.
Over the last 10 years, applicants, enrollment, and graduates have increased significantly:
- Number of applicants to osteopathic medical colleges in 2021-22: 27,277
- Number of applicants to osteopathic medical colleges in 2011-12: 14,117
- 2021-22 first-year enrollment: 9,775
- 2011-12 first-year enrollment: 5,788
- 2021-22 total enrollment: 35,177
- 2011-12 total enrollment: 20,663
- 2021-22 total graduates: 7,416
- 2011-12 total graduates: 4,458
For additional data on these and other osteopathic medical education topics please visit AACOM Reports or contact email@example.com.