- Visit What is Osteopathic Medicine? to learn more about the history and practice of osteopathic medicine.
- In the 2020-21 academic year, osteopathic medical colleges are educating more than 34,000 future physicians–25 percent of all US medical students.
- AACOM represents the 38 accredited colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States.
- These colleges are at 60 teaching locations in 34 states.
- Seven of the colleges are publicly controlled, 31 are private institutions.
Over the last 10 years, applicants, enrollment, and graduates have increased significantly:
- Number of applicants to osteopathic medical colleges in 2017-18: 20,836
- Number of applicants to osteopathic medical colleges in 2007-08: 11,231
- 2017-18 first-year enrollment: 8,088
- 2007-08 first-year enrollment: 4,528
- 2017-18 total enrollment: 28,981
- 2007-08 total enrollment: 15,634
- 2016-17 total graduates: 6,015
- 2006-07 total graduates: 3,000
For additional data on these and other osteopathic medical education topics please visit AACOM Reports or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.