- Visit What is Osteopathic Medicine? to learn more about the history and practice of osteopathic medicine.
- In the 2016-17 academic year, osteopathic medical colleges are educating nearly 29,000 future physicians – more than 20% of US medical students.
AACOM represents the 34 accredited colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States.
These colleges are at 49 teaching locations in 32 states.
- Six of the colleges are publicly controlled, 28 are private institutions.
Over the last 15 years, applicants, enrollment, and graduates have increased significantly:
- Number of applicants to osteopathic medical colleges in 2015-16: 20,447
- Number of applicants to osteopathic medical colleges in 2000-01: 7,708
- 2015-16 first-year enrollment: 7,219
- 2000-01 first-year enrollment: 2,927
- 2015-16 total enrollment: 25,876
- 2000-01 total enrollment: 10,817
- 2014-15 total graduates: 5,323
- 1999-00 total graduates: 2,279
For additional data on these and other osteopathic medical education topics please visit AACOM Reports
or contact firstname.lastname@example.org