The American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine provides leadership for the osteopathic medical education community by promoting excellence in medical education, research and service, and by fostering innovation and quality across the continuum of osteopathic medical education to improve the health of the American public.
- Position osteopathic medicine as an effective solution to the nation’s health care needs and assure the continuous flow of resources and recognition for osteopathic medical education by serving as the collective voice of the colleges of osteopathic medicine and associated osteopathic medical education programs.
- Advocate for federal legislative and regulatory policies and priorities that advance and elevate osteopathic medical education.
- Increase awareness and understanding of osteopathic medical education and osteopathic medicine among policy makers, medical educators and the public.
- Represent the interest and priorities of osteopathic medical education both within the osteopathic medical community and with key external groups.
- Promote osteopathic medical education as a preferred pathway for future physicians in order to satisfy the need for sufficient numbers of qualified physicians to meet U.S. health care needs.
- Promote greater awareness of osteopathic medicine and osteopathic medical education along the student pipeline.
- Generate a well-developed, diverse pool of qualified applicants from which the colleges of osteopathic medicine will train and educate physicians.
- Promote the establishment of an adequate number of high-quality graduate medical education opportunities for osteopathic medical school graduates.
- Support member schools in preparing osteopathic physicians who are ready to meet the evolving health care needs of America by promoting excellence, innovation and a culture of lifelong learning throughout medical education.
- Transform undergraduate medical education to produce graduates who are well prepared for clinical training in today’s high quality, value oriented, outcomes-based health care environment and evolving delivery systems.
- Provide leadership and support to osteopathic medical educators in their efforts to develop and deliver high-quality educational programs.
- Provide continuing medical education opportunities for faculty and administrators related to their roles as educators.
Demonstrate the distinctive value and approach of osteopathic medical education by providing opportunities for collaborative research and scholarship.
- Undertake institutional research about osteopathic medical education and member institutions.
- Promote research and scholarship with a focus on OME and osteopathic distinctiveness.
- Increase the competitiveness of COMs for research funding.
- Operate as an efficient and fiscally responsible organization working in support of its mission and its members.
- Establish a well-organized operational and communication structure that supports AACOM’s current and future goals and objective.
- Develop a sound, stable financial strategy that supports AACOM’s current and future goals and objectives.
- Provide services and shared solutions that provide value to members and the osteopathic medical education community.
Photo Credits.left to right:
Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (GA-PCOM)
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University (AZCOM)
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences - College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCUMB-COM)
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus