CMS Announces New Primary Care Model
Published June 13, 2023
By AACOM Government Relations
Advocacy Federal Policy Healthcare Workforce OME Advocate
- On June 8, 2023, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) announced a new Making Care Primary (MCP) Model, which will be tested in eight states.
- The MCP Model aims to provide participants with additional revenue to build infrastructure to participate in value-based models, make primary care services more accessible and better coordinate care with specialists.
- CMS is working with State Medicaid Agencies in the eight states to engage in full care transformation across public programs and plans to engage private payers in the coming months.
- The MCP Model will run from July 1, 2024, to December 31, 2034, and the eight participant states are Colorado, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina and Washington.
- Applications open in late summer 2023.