CMS Publishes FY24 IPPS Final Rule with GME Changes
Published August 07, 2023
By AACOM Government Relations
Advocacy Federal Policy Healthcare Workforce OME Advocate
- On August 1, 2023, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) issued the fiscal year (FY) 2024 Medicare hospital inpatient prospective payment system (IPPS) final rule. The rule updates Medicare payment policies and quality reporting programs relevant for inpatient hospital services, and builds on key agency priorities, including advancing health equity and improving the safety and quality of care.
- AACOM previously submitted comments on the proposed rule’s graduate medical education (GME) changes, and the final rule will implement two updates of interest to the osteopathic community:
- CMS finalized a clarification of Medicare cost report data used in calculating the indirect medical education resident-to-bed ratio when there is a change to a hospital’s full-time equivalent (FTE) residents due to participation in a GME affiliation agreement sharing FTE slots with another hospital.
- CMS also finalized its proposal to treat Rural Emergency Hospitals (REHs) similarly to Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs) for purposes of determining GME payments. This change would likely be favorable to rural communities and REHs, as it would provide for continued training of residents in rural areas for converting CAHs and would offer the opportunity for additional rural training of residents that might not otherwise be viable without this policy.
- The majority of provisions within the rule will be effective October 1, 2023.
- View the AACOM analysis to learn more.